A BRITISH FASHION AND LIFESTYLE BLOG

Birth Story



 



My birth story


So now Casper is 14 weeks old and I’ve finally had time to sit down and write! I’ve decided to share my birth story. Scary! By no means is it pretty or perfect but the end result is what matters. When I was pregnant I loved to read real birth stories from other mums, especially those who would be in a similar situation to mine.

My previous birth experiences had been very hard, two shoulder distocia deliveries, both babies got stuck and it was quite touch and go. I was extremely lucky twice! So this time my only option was going to be a c-section. I had issues with this from the start. I was extremely emotional about it, the thought terrified me! I knew at the end of the day it was the right thing for the safety of the baby so I  slowly got my head around it. I did a load of research into what would happen during the process,  and spoke to my midwife about all the worries I had and read other mothers birth stories after having a c-section delivery.  


I was nervous but getting used to the idea. I’d seen the consultant and  discussed a date which would  be safe for both myself and baby. He booked my date in the diary early on and I had a couple of months to get used to it and count down. At no point did I ever feel confident with it but I was starting to feel more comfortable. One week before I was due to go in I hadn’t heard anything still  from the hospital so my midwife made a phone call to see what was happening. I recieved a letter a few days later to find out that my date had been moved and to make things worse it had been moved to Friday the 13th! Now I’m not normally that superstitious but I did not have a good feeling about it, in fact, I had a bit of a teary moment. I was even more apprehensive and nervous about it now!

I had a scan a few days before and although baby was looking big everything seemed to be okay.

Early hours of Friday morning I thought I’d started to feel different.... like early labour! Although I was very nervous so couldn’t be sure. Sam woke up and got out of bed first that morning and made me a coffee in bed, which was lovely. I couldn’t have predicted what was to come next! He really is the sweetest man, he produced a small box, got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! Of course I said yes. So as we packed the car up ready to go the hospital I started to relax ever so slightly.

We arrived at the hospital to find we were first on the list, I can’t tell you how relieved this made me! Nerves started to kick in and I had a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach that something wasn’t going to go quite right. Heading down to surgery and I kept reciting the routine which was about to happen in my head. I had the spinal block and they prepped me for the surgery. Next the surgery began, it became apparent to the doctors that baby was stuck. They first tried a few manoeuvres to try and release him from the position he was in, which unfortunately didn’t work. Next the forceps came out and they tried the same manoeuvres with the help of forceps. It did take longer than anyone expected and although I had a spinal block I could still feel how hard the doctors where trying to get him out. There was a slight panic around the room after baby was delivered as I’d lost quite a lot of  blood. Sam left the room to sort out baby with the wonderful midwives leaving me to get stictched back up. It wasn’t pretty and there were a few complications (one being the feeling starting to return because of the unexpected delay) but once we were out of that room I instantly felt like a weight had been lifted. We were wheeled round to recovery and holding this little bundle of life made me realise despite not having the best c-section experience, it was 100% worth it!

We spent the next day and night in the hospital until we were able to come home and introduce him to the rest of the family. Unsurprisingly everyone is as in love as we are with our new addition, baby Casper.

Well there we have it. Not everyone has an amazing birth experience, and you certainly can’t plan for these things. If anyone has any questions or wants to talk about their own birth experiences do get in touch.

Until next time x    


                




       

















SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Leave a comment

Featured post

Salted Caramel Cake

Salted caramel cake 125g dairy free butter (I use vitalife) 125g self raising flour ( use gluten free if you are intolerant) ...

Blog Design Created by pipdig